Need date ideas? Don’t waste your time on dinner and a movie when there are tons of fun date ideas you might not have thought of but will make a huge difference in how your date goes.
Before we hop in though it’s worth noting that ideas for a date are only ideas if you don’t have the right attitude and person to enjoy your date with. To that end, here’s a quick packing list of things you should always bring on a date before you even start worrying about fun date ideas:
- Realistic expectations
- A sense of humor
- The knowledge that you’re not all that
- A grin
- Emergency money and a fully-charged cellphone (keep it off)
- A small notepad and a pen
- Your ID
Sure, there are other things you should bring and if you’d like to add your list in a comment, that’d be faboo. But what about the date ideas? Here are some you’ll hopefully find inspiring whether it’s your first date or 100th date (woo!).
- Listen to music - Seriously, meet up with some playlists and get to it.
- Hit up Wholefoods – Classier than fast food but quick enough that you can bounce if you need to. Delicious options, too!
- Find the best view in your town – Nearly pointless hunts are great for dates and will give you time to chat.
- Attend a really bad concert – It’s more fun when you both know its bad. Laugh it up!
- Watch an awful movie – There’s a trend here. You’ll find it easier to laugh off your own awkwardness when your surroundings are obviously worse.
- Go grocery shopping – Don’t make dinner afterwards unless you want to. Just go shopping.
- Wash laundry together – A girl who will hang out with you at the laundr-o-mat is awesome.
- Go for a photo walk - Formal or impromptu, great date idea if you’re into photography!
- Stage a picnic – Easy, cheap, and lots of escape routes.
- Hit a local tourist attraction – Preferably one neither of you have explored.
- Visit a local museum – This will tell you a lot about your date really quickly.
- Get on a boat – Seriously, water can be a lot of fun and depending on the craft, you might have a lot of fun.
- Visit a used book store – If you’ve still got one local, used book stores are a fun date idea for anybody who can read!
- Go to a flea market – Buy your date some bit of gaudy random junk and pretend to be offended when they don’t like it.
- Play chess in the park – If you can get a spot, boardgames, especially on stone tables, are fun.
- Prank call somebody – Fun? Absolutely. If your date has a sense of humor, this can be a great idea.
- Host your own bar crawl - Who says two people can’t do a bar crawl? Bring others along as you find them.
- Try to catch a pigeon – Okay, this might be deranged, but pigeons are really fast and it’ll take a lot of teamwork. They can also fly.
- Go swimming in a fountain – I’m not saying to get yourself arrested. The point is to not get caught! Also, don’t drink the water.
- Get lost – This might take some effort but the point is to wander around and enjoy each other’s company.
- Buy some blank postcards – Then sit in a quiet place together and draw crazy things on them before sending to friends.
- Ride public transit - Bring some headphones and just be together.
- Read a play together - Trust me, she’ll want to be Hamlet.
- Go for a bike ride – No matter where you live, discovering your world by bicycle will be a lot of fun.
- Show him/her your five favorite places to hang out – Only do this if you already like them quite a lot though.
So that’s 25 arguably fun date ideas that you can try with your new squeeze. If you’ve had a fun date recently and want to add an idea of your own, share in a comment!
Have fun. Be honest. And keep your pants on. At least for the first few hours. =)